June 12, 2014

National Nursing Assistants Day: June 12, 2014

It’s wonderful to read inspiring articles about direct care workers…and this article by Lori Porter certainly fits the bill!  Lori is a former nursing assistant herself who went on to serve more than 30 years as a nursing home administrator.  She is also  the co-founder and CEO of the National Association of Health Care Assistants.
Ms. Porter recalls the first hero she ever met working in long-term care, a CNA named Stella Parrish.  She viewed Stella as a hero for many reasons, especially because:
“She gave me an attitude adjustment that saved my career in long-term care — and this was back in the days before all the buzz words of “empowerment” and being positive. Stella schooled me well, explaining that she was tired of hearing me complain about everything. She told me the nursing home meant something to her and she would not allow me to make everyone miserable. She concluded with a request that if I could not stop complaining and inciting negativity among my co-workers that I leave. I did stop complaining and thanks to Stella, I became a better nursing assistant and a better person.”
For More and Original Article.

No comments:

Post a Comment