April 16, 2013

Bucket List for Nurses

I don’t know about any of you but it’s extremely important for me to be happy and to have a fun filled life. When I think about how hard we work as nurses, and the hours we dedicate to others, it’s overwhelming. Isn’t it time for us to take care of ourselves, too?

Can we allow ourselves a two minute break to assess our own well-being? How many of us actually do that?Hobbies, friends and vacations rank at the top of my bucket list, not to mention quiet time to just sit and do nothing but reflect and ponder.  Sometimes as I am taking a solitary walk or soaking in a tub filled with bubbles, I plan my next move. My thought process is clear and uninterrupted during those moments. I can close my eyes and decide what will come next in my life. Remember, “What we think about, we bring about.” (From the Secret)

Now, to you this may not count as a bucket list. Some people view bucket lists as end of life, last chance events. I don’t. And I also don’t think of bucket lists as action filled, life altering adventures. I prefer to keep my heart rate and blood pressure fairly stable, much to my husband’s dismay.   

I don’t like fast rides at amusement parks, scuba diving or jumping out of air planes. I would never get on the back of a motorcycle, no matter who was driving. I like what I like and that’s OK.Oh, sure, someday I’d like to travel to Africa. I would also like to serve a humanitarian mission and I’d like to move to a warmer climate in my old age (ions from now).     

For the rest of this NurseTogether blog

Learn what it takes to become a Healthcare Unit Coordinator.

No comments:

Post a Comment