January 28, 2016

3 Tips on How to Raise Kids Who won't Bully

By Samin Razzaghi for YourTango

I recently read an article on YourTango about what it’s really like to be the mom of a bullied child. What’s so disheartening is that the experience of that mom and her daughter is SO much more common in our schools and communities than we want to believe.
Before I was a life coach in private practice, I had the chance to work with teen girls as a school counselor. I was privileged to have them share with me their struggles with bullying, feelings of low self-esteem and the daily challenges that most parents are either unaware of or feel powerless to do anything about. I’ve seen teen girls call each other names, put out compromising photos of each others on the internet, and just be plain mean to one another.
What I found the hardest to witness as confidant for these girls was the messages they received from adults. Whether it was the teachers or the parents, when kids bring up the topic of bullying, the response is that it’s a totally normal part of growing up – almost a right of passage. People drum it up to the fact that “all kids get bullied,” or that “girls are mean”.

- See more at: Goodmen Project

Learn what it takes to become an Activities Director.

No comments:

Post a Comment